Many people suffer from regular headaches, but few think to mention them when they visit our dental office. Headaches are of many ideologies. Some common causes are stress, sinus problems, clenching, grinding teeth, and occlusal problems such as TMJ dysfunction.
If you experience frequent headaches, mention them at your next dental visit. Our dentists will evaluate the masticatory system to determine if dental hard or soft tissue is a possible source of your headaches.
About Headaches and TMJ Dysfunction
Headaches are one of the common signs of TMJ dysfunction. Most people who experience “TMJ headaches” will usually notice symptoms in the morning, often due to clenching and teeth grinding that occurs during sleep.
TMJ Headache Symptoms
- Pain in the temples or back of the head
- Morning headaches
- Pain in the shoulders, neck, and upper back
- Migraine headaches
- Teeth grinding, teeth clenching
TMJ Headache Therapy
Our doctors will evaluate your occlusion/bite and TMJ function at each hygiene appointment. Depending on her findings and your symptoms and concerns, additional tests and treatments may be indicated. Treatment for TMJ problems can range from oral appliance therapy to bite correction which can be orthodontics and/or occlusal adjustments.
- TMJ Mouthguard – An oral sleep appliance, also known as a TMJ mouthguard or bruxism appliance, can be a treatment for patients who experience frequent headaches. This oral appliance is custom-made to seat over the teeth, protecting the teeth and TMJ during clenching and grinding.
- Bite Correction – Our dentists may also recommend bite correction procedures to realign the teeth so that the upper and lower teeth come into contact with each other correctly. Bite correction can include a number of procedures including tooth equilibration, crown and bridge, and orthodontics.
After a detailed oral exam, we can recommend the most appropriate treatment for your smile. Contact our Severna Park dentist office to explore your treatment options.